Sunday, January 9, 2011

Eins, Zwei, Drei! (1, 2, 3!)


1

We celebrated the official end to Christmas this past week. Three Kings' Day was on January 6th, also known as the Epiphany. Landon was our king for the day when he found the small king trinket in the Dreikönig cake that we bought! The bread was a crown shape of 6 rolls with 1 in the center, and whoever found the king got to wear the crown.
2
3
This weekend was unseasonably warm so we went to Dreilandereck, which is the "Three Countries Corner" or "Border Triangle". It is in the Swiss Port of Basel where France, Germany and Switzerland meet. The kids enjoyed being in different countries than us, even though they were only a few steps away. 

We've been here over four months now, and in many ways we still feel like we're on a vacation. We are able to explore so much here. However, for me, the New Year has brought a sense of routine and permanency. We're not here forever, but now we feel more settled. Landon and Willem are established in their school. Landon has started local swim lessons. And, we finally subscribed to local television. (You're either thinking -- "why did you wait so long?" or "why now?") When we first moved, I felt like t.v. was the last thing we had time for. Plus, I thought that if most of it were in German, then it would be a waste of money. But we actually have quite a few English channels (~20) from the UK. And now that I have some basic German knowledge, I feel that I can watch the Swiss weather or news and get a sense of what's going on. It may even help my language lessons. And it just feels like home to have some shows available in English -- like How I Met Your Mother (old episodes, but it's one of my favorites), Jay Leno and Arthur for the kids. 

3 comments:

  1. meliss - keep the pics of the boys coming! i love to see how much they're growing!! :) so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we first moved to the US my parents did not own a tv...just did not have use for it I guess. The principal of our school called and told my mom it would be the best way for us to learn the language. Glad you are watching some German tv ;o)!! Can't wait to get the update from Sasha. Will he get to see your house and kids? Or are you meeting him in town? Either way I'm sure it will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen - I'm so glad that you mentioned that about watching tv. Now I won't feel so bad if the kids want to watch Scooby Doo in German! We'll be meeting Sasha in town because we'll be going straight to dinner from swim lessons with the kids. We'll fill him in!

    ReplyDelete