| FC Basel flags flying |
As I look back on my posts over the last 9 months or so, there are so many things that we have experienced here and I have become proud to live in Basel. But there are a couple things that I'm not proud of, and I haven't written about them yet. One is the smoking habit. In what is otherwise a pretty clean city, there are cigarette butts littered seemingly everywhere, particularly around the tram stops. Most people seem to be polite enough to keep a reasonable distance if they're smoking, but of course, I can still smell it. I mostly worry about the influence on the kids. Hopefully they pick up on my view that it's a disgusting habit.
Secondly, the graffiti is a bit much sometimes. Some graffiti can be so well-done that it is a work of art, but for the most part -- it can be a glaring eyesore on buildings and walls. There is a underpass that we walk through to get home from our tram stop, and I'm just waiting for the day when Landon tries to read what's written on the walls. This is a space that can invite graffiti, but I also feel that it can be a poor reflection on the area where I live.
Both the graffiti and smoking seem to also be something that is noticeably different to visitors. The scenery and architecture can be so beautiful here, but these things can get in the way. However, overall I am proud to live here and continue learning about the culture, language and scenery. Good things and bad -- it's all part of our experience.
Bis bald! ('Til soon!)
No comments:
Post a Comment