Thursday, September 15, 2011

Neighborhood details

As I bike to work after dropping the kids at school, I travel from farm roads (careful to watch for manure) to city roads. And within 15 minutes, I'm at work. I am enjoying the ride to and from work -- it's a great way to fit in exercise. I'm hoping that you wouldn't recognize me if you saw me riding: my bike style is somewhere between New York City bike messengers and people who bike to work in heels and skirts. And although the public transportation is very efficient here, I like being on my own schedule and travelling on my own power (it's often faster to bike rather than wait for the tram schedule). Biking is also more personable in the morning. I'm not enclosed in the car with the radio on; I can actually say "Dankeschön" to the person on their bike who lets me pass.

It is pleasant to travel through the quiet neighborhoods. Our neighborhood is on a hill, and many houses are modern and built into the hill to take advantage of natural cooling. The houses are mostly stucco, simple and functional. In some ways, this town gives me a sense of where we lived in California. The yards are small, and effectively used. We see many fruit and nut trees -- figs, cherries, apples, walnuts. Mixed in the neighborhood is the remains of a castle, and farmland with cows, horses and corn fields. The farms at the top of our hill offer a beautiful view to the city, and many possibilities for hiking and mountain biking. But what I love is the details of the houses and yards. In many ways, I feel myself taking notes for a future house. I'm growing to like the simple facades, and practical patios.

Although I haven't met any other Americans in the neighborhood, I'm surprised to see hints of the US. There is a Hawaii decorative license plate that we've passed, a Route 66 mural, and one house that shows Harley-Davidson spirit.

And there are many details that, to me, are decidedly Swiss, like well-maintained window boxes with geraniums and garden gnomes. (Although this many gnomes is a bit unusual...)




No comments:

Post a Comment