Today is January 23rd, and I think I have now managed to wish all of my colleagues at work 'ein glückliches Neue Jahr' (a "Happy New Year")! This tradition is a bit more formal than in the U.S.; it is important to genuinely wish everyone luck, health and happiness in the New Year. It is a time to offer a handshake to wish the best to each and every colleague. For people that I work closely with, this may also mean a greeting with kisses on the cheek. And here is where it can be confusing. I am trying to map the number of kisses appropriate for a greeting, because guessing can be awkward! For example, Switzerland alternates cheeks 3 times. Spain, Italy and some parts of France are only 2 kisses. (Actually, a Frenchman will never complain if you offer more than expected.) Northern Germany is more of a hug. And after everyone has been home over the holidays with their own traditions, and returns to work in January...you can see how greetings can get awkward. But it's a good start to the year!
Bob and I discovered another New Year tradition with many German speakers: a short comedy skit from 1963 called "Dinner for One" (also known as "Der 90. Geburtstag"). Oddly enough, it is watched in English (with a German introduction) but I think the humor is universal. (If you like Monty Python, you may like this as well. Check it out on youtube.) It is only 18 minutes long, but definitely an instant New Year's tradition. I can see why it has a cult following, and the phrase "same procedure as last year" is apparently well-known. I'll have to test this out at work.
And today is the start of the Chinese Lunar New Year. We brought in the year of the Dragon with Fondue Chinoise (Chinese Fondue). This version of fondue is actually quite popular here in Switzerland. Instead of cheese, a hot pot of broth is used to cook meat and vegetables. It is a slow meal to enjoy on a weekend, because the meat takes a few minutes to cook. A yummy alternative to the cheese fondue in the winter.
So, if I haven't had a chance to personally wish you a happy new year, I send you best wishes for 2012! Until next time, tschau!
No comments:
Post a Comment