Tuesday, September 18, 2012

2 years of Swissness

Getting ready for FC Basel
September 1 marked our two year anniversary of living in Switzerland. It has gone by fast, but we continue to make a list of what we want to see and accomplish before we leave. Some things that we've checked off that list recently include going to our first FC (Football Club) Basel match, and also floating down the Rhine.

And after 2 years, I'm amazed at how many new things that we continue to discover here. Last week, Bob and I participated in a "Farm Olympics" as part of a company teambuilding event. We were at a postcard-perfect Swiss farm for several events that we competed in. Some events were typical of a farm (e.g. cow milking). Other events were comparable to what I'll call "fair games" like axe throwing, blow darts and slingshots. Pick up sticks, anyone? How about "Giant Mikado"? Then, there were the very Swiss events such as Fahnenschwingen (Flag Throwing) and Hornussen.
Bob sets up for Giant Mikado

Flag Throwing is a ritual that often accompanies historical or national celebrations (perhaps alongside alphorns on National Day). As part of our event, we learned a flag throwing routine, which was harder than it looked! Behind the back, under the leg, up in the air! I needed more practice.

We also learned about the game of Hornussen, which has roots in the Bern area. It has elements of baseball and golf. The Hornussen (hornet) is a small puck that the player tries to hit into the field with a long and flexible "bat". The opposite team tries to intercept the puck with shields in the field. Points are scored when pucks hit the ground without interference. I haven't seen this played before, and it seems quite local (although Wikipedia claims that there are clubs in the U.S.). We finished off our farm games with a barbecue and beer. I enjoyed trying grilled pineapple, rotisserie-style, and covered in cinnamon. I don't think this is based on a Swiss recipe, but I recommend it!

So, two years down, and we are still learning plenty about Switzerland and Europe (which is good for the blog).  Tschuss!


A successful throw!

No comments:

Post a Comment