Over the last three years, I've published a few lists of our lessons learned as an ex-pat. Many of the lessons have been focused on learning the language and settling in a foreign country. I continue to learn new things every week, and when we eventually move, I think living in an American community will feel very "easy", because we will not need to overcome language barriers or learn new customs. One example of learning local customs happened at a work dinner this past week. I already knew that it is very important to look someone in the eyes when you toast, but I also learned that it's bad luck to "clink" your glass with someone who has water in their glass. (Alcohol goes with alcohol, and water with water.) And when there are more than six people in a group, don't clink all the glasses. I really enjoy learning about traditions that are different from my own. Zum Wohl! Cheers!
Fuerteventura was a relaxing vacation with trips to beautiful beaches (The sand is often reported to be blown over from the Sahara, but this is apparently only a rumor). The food was wonderful -- mostly Spanish influenced with local fish. The adults enjoyed the tradition of a house specialty digestive after dinner every night (and lollipops for the kids)! The Fuerteventura landscape is extremely dry, with volcanic rock from the many volcanoes. Willem had just finished studying volcanoes in school, so this trip was perfect timing to visit them in person! Our trip was a great opportunity to share a new experience with my parents and visit with them. We look forward to more opportunities to learn about new places!
No comments:
Post a Comment