Friday, April 18, 2014

Our Basel days are numbered...

Easter holidays are upon us -- we have 2.5 days off work, and we will finally be able to enjoy a chocolate "Österhase" (Easter Bunny)! But we also have in the back of our mind that this is our last spring in Basel, last time to take advantage of spring holiday weekend travel, last weeks of work. We are moving back to the US in June, and are very excited for many reasons -- primarily to be able to see our extended family more often. But leaving Basel will be bittersweet, especially to leave so many close friends that have been our family away from home.

Medal winners in their first ski race
We're checking off some things on our list of things to do and places to see before we leave. For example, we experienced the party atmosphere at a World Cup race in Lenzerheide. We took a weekend trip to Adelboden in the Alps, and have an Easter vacation planned to Stockholm. But I'm convinced that our experience living abroad has also taught us to explore wherever we are. So when we move, I hope we keep exploring.

I also sense that we will define our memories by "before" and "after" Basel. Especially for the kids, who may have their first memories from here. I hope they remember the friends they've made, special places we've visited around Switzerland and Europe, and let's also hope that they remember some German.

This isn't our last chapter in our blog yet, and I hope that the blog helps all of us remember our special time here. For now, schöne Östern (happy Easter)!
Say "moo"!


No comments:

Post a Comment