| Heart-shaped lake at Engleberg |
We tried to fit in many experiences over our last month while in Basel. We took a day trip to Europa Park, a nearby theme park in Germany -- it was a memorable trip for the kids, especially when they could ride rollercoasters with friends multiple times in a row at the end of the day. We went for a last hike in the Alps on a hot day to take in the scenery as much as we could, because photos just don't do it justice. The boys went to the Swiss National Circus with their babysitters as a surprise farewell. My colleagues at work hosted an apero for me that made me feel so lucky to have met so many great people. These are just some of the memories that I want to take with me.
| French Chateau stay |
| St. Mihiel American Cemetary |
We have many memories to take with us, and also hope to keep certain routines with us as we move on to our next adventure. For example, we really have to continue German for the kids as we don't want to lose what they've already learned. And even though Sundays are regular shopping days for the most part in the US, I hope that we can keep this day as a time to be together as a family. As I've said goodbye to many people, I've been reminded of the German saying that I have "one-eye laughing and one-eye crying", which means it is a bittersweet time. I also appreciate the saying that we always meet people twice in life. For this reason, I've hesitated to say goodbye, and would rather say "see you".
This won't be my last blog entry. I've realized that as much as this was an effort to inform our friends in the US about life in Europe, I can now use it to also inform our friends in Europe about our life in the US. It will certainly be a transition and the beginning of a new chapter. With that, I wish you regards from Basel. Grüsse aus basel... bis später ("see you later").
That was a great experience to meet you, Dear Mrs Miss :).
ReplyDeleteAnd please : use this blog to share this new chapter with us, it will be a pleasure to read it !!
Thanks again for everything you brought to us (don't lose your German .... AND your French!).
À bientôt,
Virginie