Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Choice words

Sometimes only the word "quaint" will do around here. Picture a farmhouse with a milk stand where a mother is filling her container of milk to bring home. Next to her, she has an old-fashioned metal buggy with a toddler sitting up with a bonnet on her head. And cows are mooing in the distance. Very picturesque and quaint, indeed. And sometimes words don't suffice, and I wish I had my camera with me!

Here's another picture for you. Willem and I visited a house-front on a local town main street where wooden Easter bunnies and eggs are sold. Only a cat guards the goods, with a "pick-your-own" cash box to deposit your money. Again -- very quaint, and the hand carved bunnies are unique. Here is a picture of some of the handiwork that was outside the house.

Speaking of words... we hear more familiar words than you think. I love the German word "kaputt", meaning broken. As in "Das ist kaputt", or "This is broken". Kaputt is normally followed by a mouth sound that I just can't put into words; perhaps you can imagine it. And yes, people say "Gesundheit" here when you sneeze, meaning "To health". You'll also hear the French word "voilĂ ", which has so many meanings... "voilĂ "!

And a sad family note. Last week, we had to say goodbye to our dog Storm, who died of old age. This is hard to explain to the kids because he was not living with us. He was staying with my in-laws, who kept him in the absolute best care possible. Fortunately, we were able to spend time with him in March during our quick visit. Quite simply, he was a good old friend and will be missed dearly.
We love you, Storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment