Monday, August 1, 2011

Happy Birthday, Switzerland!

August 1 is Switzerland's National Day, and a public holiday. Swiss pride means hanging the Swiss flag and LOTS of fireworks. A couple of weeks before the holiday, stands were set up outside supermarkets and on the roadside selling all kinds of fireworks. The fireworks are rated for certain ages, e.g. ages 18 and up can buy the "big" fireworks, while there is no age limit on something like sparklers. (I grew up in New York, where it was illegal to buy fireworks, so I'm both surprised and excited to see such prevalence of fireworks.) On the 31st, Basel city was having fireworks at 11:30 pm, but from about 10 pm (when it got dark), there were literally continuous sounds of fireworks from all around our neighborhood and the surrounding hills.

We picked up a "Swiss Party" in a box, labeled as a "tisch feuerwerk", or table firework. I'm generally hesitant of anything that would be considered an indoor firework, but I couldn't resist the party in a box idea. The instructions told us to "retreat quickly after lighting"; actually, it was just one quick pop and then out came all the makings of a Swiss party! There were masks, streamers, horns and hats inside. The kids loved it, and it would be a great idea for a birthday party.

I was told that the weather always cooperates for the fireworks on August 1. So, true to form -- July 31 and August 1 were both incredibly clear for fireworks at night.  I just wish that the kids could have stayed up until it was dark out to enjoy more of the festivities. The boys each picked out a Lampion, or lantern, with a candle holder inside so it can light up. We had to improvise in daylight for them (it wasn't even dusk at bedtime), but we still had fun taking part in the celebrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment