Wednesday, August 31, 2011

New Job, New Experiences

I start a new job tomorrow. Now by no means have I considered myself "unemployed" over the last 3.5 years, but today felt like my last day of freedom. OK, perhaps I'm exaggerating. It is a new chapter in our lives though, and the schedule that I keep will no longer be as independent. Over the last week or so, I was trying to tackle a lot on my wish list of things to do before starting work. I was able to meet with friends for coffee on a few different occasions, go to a Basel museum, get some exercise in and stock up on supermarket items. And I have to admit that I'm enjoying having an excuse to better my wardrobe!

Due to the new job, I also had to cancel my German classes. I'm missing being in the classroom setting, but I may get the chance to start classes again at my company in the future. For now, the kids are providing me with some new words from school. Willem especially has been good at sharing new words or bringing home songs in German. We hear a lot about "Schmetterling" or butterflies. And Landon is learning about senses: schmecken means "to taste". I am trying to pick up some more Swiss German as well (mostly when I'm getting coffee!): Gipfeli means croissants, and Schoggi is chocolate. (notice all the "sch..." words?)

Working means that we also have to plan our holidays out more carefully -- weekends will still be chances to explore, but we have already looked at calendars through 2012 to look at the best opportunities to travel and when visitors should come. Of course, I'm still planning to blog our way through our experiences. Now, I'll have an additional perspective to consider in the workplace.

So, today I took the boys to their favorite outdoor mini-golf place as a treat; something to celebrate the upcoming changes in our routine. They are very comfortable at their school, where they will spend a longer day now. They're excited to spend more time with friends in the afternoon and I'm confident that this will be good for us. Wish me luck tomorrow! Viel Glück!

No comments:

Post a Comment